Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Southern Adk Rock Climbing Festival

On Saturday we made our way up to the SAdkRF for a little bouldering comp. When I say little, I mean LITTLE. Four competitors came up with me and there were probably no more than 6-8 others from various areas. As soon as we put our shoes on, it started raining. It rained and rained and rained some more.
Luke and I tried to beat the precip first thing in the morning and got on top of a tall boulder via a V1 arete and then the skies openned. We scrambled around up there for 5-10 minutes looking for a safe way down. After that we hide/climbed in an amazing cave for the next few hours. Ben and Luke worked an open project that was a crimpfest on a 45 degree wall. They made great progress, getting about 3/4 of the moves worked out and linked. The next move from their high point will probably be the crux of this V10/11 project. It is a jump to two decent slot holds off of a sidepull, a bad crimp and low/no feet. Really great work by Ben linking up to the high point.
When the rain subsided for about an hour, we walked the circuit and found some 'drier' V0s, V1s and V2s. We then returned to the cave to show some other folks the progress that has been made and finally worked a wet, sloppy V3 but to no avail.
At the end of the day, I ended up with the most points, winning the competition with a V2 high problem. Ben took second place.
Really it was a funny comp day, due to the rain. I can't imagine what would have gone down if it were dry. My previous disdain for Crane Mtn has been lifted though, due to a wet day that inspired me to come back and finish climbs when they are dry.

I'll be back for you Leviathan.

1 comment: