Saturday, May 23, 2009

2 great Saturdays, 2 great ADK areas




Wow! Two new areas to climb for me. The Adirondacks are just full of great bouldering.

My first visit to Snowy Mtn Boulders on the 9th was incredible. This area is unlike any other in the Northeast that I know of. Hueco pockets of all sizes have been carved out of the numerous boulders below Snowy just north of Speculator, NY. These pockets along with all of the other boulder features make for an incredible area to continue working at (as soon as the black flies give permission in a month or so). Our day there was decent with overcast skies, a little wind and virtually no black flies yet. Some good sends went down. Everyone got at least one V6, a few got V7s and one V8 went down. Can't wait to go back later in the summer.

Today we made a bit of a longer drive up to McKenzie Pond Boulders. This was my first visit there and I was instantly extatick. A lot of classic problems got sent today. JP got the two he had his eyes on for the day (IF and Thrust Fault). Ben got his V7 Magnum and made good progress on a V8 Flux Capacitor. Luke sent a few V5s. Jess is SO CLOSE on Brock Lee Soares. I sent many of the classic easier problems that I wanted for the day (BLSoares, IF, Slot Machine, Great Roof, Time will Tell, Slobadon).

There will definitely be many more trips up north this summer to these areas.

No comments: